Roblox introduced voice chat into their game in 2021, going with the slightly funkier name of Spatial Voice. The name mainly signifies the fact that it is proximity-based, i.e., people far away from you in the game cannot hear you.
Other games, most notably Player Unknown Battlegrounds, adopted a similar style of voice chat. However, the process of enabling voice chat in Roblox is not as straightforward as in other games, and that’s why we’re here! This article will break down how you can enable voice chat and augment your Roblox experience.
Verify Your Age
The main difference between Roblox’s voice chat access and most other games is that Roblox takes its 13-years or older requirement for voice chat very seriously. As such, you must get your age verified, which is a bit of a process. Before you begin, make sure you have a government-issued identity document (driver’s license, ID card, or passport) and a smartphone with you.
- Navigate to Account Settings. Look for the little cog on the top right of your screen.
- Select Account Info.
- Click on Verify My Age, which is a button beneath your birthday.
- Scan the QR code in the pop-up window using your smartphone.
- This will take you to Roblox’s verification service. Click on Start Session to begin the verification process. You will be asked to scan your government-issued document and subsequently take a selfie. The selfie will ensure the documentation provided is actually yours! The selfie does not have to be flattering, but since you’re taking it, it probably will be!
- Once complete, go back to your Roblox account. You’ll receive any updates regarding your verification status in the same tab.
Your verification will either return a passed or failed result. If you fail, no need to worry! You can do the verification again.
Turn On Voice Chat
Now it’s time for the easy part. Once you have verified your age, you must navigate to Settings (the little gear on the top-right), select the Privacy tab, and toggle on Voice Chat. It should be under Beta Features.
That’s it! It’s really quite simple once you’re done with the age verification. You can test this out by going into a game mode that supports voice chat and speaking to other Robloxers.
If Voice Chat isn’t working for you, make sure you have a working microphone.
Roblox Voice Chat FAQs
Why Do I Have To Verify My Age To Use Voice Chat?
Roblox takes the safety of its community very seriously. A large chunk of Roblox’s audience is pre-pubescent, which means they need to ensure age-appropriate content. This is evident in the filters they use for text chat, and the age verification essentially extends this filter onto voice chat.
If you’re younger than 13 years old, you cannot access voice chat, which makes it less likely you will be exposed to inappropriate content.
Are My Documents In Safe Hands?
To ensure the privacy of your documents, Roblox does not store any raw data regarding your document. Roblox produces a secure, encrypted, and anonymized value to make its comparisons.
Is My Country Supported For Verification?
Most countries are supported by Roblox’s service, and yours is likely on the list. In total, Roblox supports age verification for 180 countries!
What If My Actual Birthday Is Different From My Roblox Birthday?
Thankfully, that is not an issue. Roblox’s verification process automatically updates your Roblox birthday to match that in your ID document. Bad news if you were trying to hide your birthday from your Roblox friends, no way to avoid presents now!
Staying Safe While Using Roblox Voice Chat
Voice chat is a great way to chat to friends while playing Roblox together but there are also some safety risks you should be aware of. Follow these tips to stay safe in-game.
- Don’t give out personal information: When you’re talking to someone on Roblox voice chat, they might try to get personal information from you, like your address or phone number. Don’t give out any personal information to anyone on Roblox, even if they seem friendly.
- Dont Meet someone in real life you met on Roblox: This tip goes for any website or social media platform also, never arrange to meet someone from the internet in real life.
- Be aware of fake accounts: There are fake accounts on Roblox that are created by scammers. These scammers might try to trick you into giving them personal information or money. Be aware of fake accounts and don’t interact with them. If you think someone might be a scammer, report them to a moderator.
- Only add people you know in real life: It’s only safe to add people on Roblox that you know in real life. If you don’t know someone in real life, don’t add them as a friend on Roblox.
- Block and report anyone who makes you feel uncomfortable: If anyone on Roblox voice chat is making you feel uncomfortable, block them and report them to a moderator. You should also tell a parent or guardian if someone is making you feel uncomfortable on Roblox.