Axie Infinity is an NFT online game developed by Vietnamese studio Sky Mavis. The game is surrounded by a community that holds a financial stake in Axie via the game’s two currencies, which they can use to influence its development. The game is based on combat between teams of three cartoon monsters, known as Axies; each Axie has different powers originating from (bug, bird, plant, etc.) and various body parts. Players on winning battles or selling Axies can earn the in-game smooth love potion (SLP) tokens as rewards, which can then be redeemed for in-game features.
Sky Mavis announced a series of economic changes that will launch with Axie’s upcoming 20th in-game season. The play-to-earn game has boosted the amount of AXS rewards from 3,000 to 117,676 for the next season and increased its leaderboard slots to 300,000. This will charge the competitive Axie scene and create a $6 million worth of prize pool for Season 20.
Some of the key points of the changes are:
- The upcoming Season 20 update will make SLP scarcer, making their Axies more valuable, potentially seeing Axie Infinity gain more traction among gamers, and raising demand for AXS.
- A new system has been implemented to tackle the token inflation issue from its token -SLP.
- Arena reward structure has been changed. SLP rewards have been reduced, and the AXS leaderboard has massively expanded.
- Adventure mode SLP will be sunset – reduced to zero, including rewards for first-time completion.
- Emission rates associated with several game features, such as “adventure mode” and “daily quest,” have been reduced to zero from over 130 million SLP earlier.
- SLP used to breed or update axies will be burned or destroyed permanently, lowering the token’s circulating supply.
In addition, the developers have added back 1 SLP per win for players under 800 MMR. This will bring some power to weaker Axies and encourage players to practice if they are learning the game or having any difficulty. Axie Infinity’s price has jumped 50% after revamping its reward structure. The “Season 20” update addresses all the concerns related to the economic collapse of the Axie Infinity, so let’s hope for a better future for the game. For more information about the Season 20 Update, head over to their website.